Information on this page is taken directly from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada’s website and is not a legal document. This information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

What course do I need to take to get a study and work permit?

For ESL, you should take a course for 6 months or longer. International students who want to register for a program longer than 6 months, will need a study permit. For more information about visa processing please see the following link from the IRCC:

Co-op programs require a study permit with work conditions so you will need to apply for the permit. LCC has an Education Quality Assurance (EQA) designation from the Government of BC and are a federally Designated Learning Institution (DLI), so we can host students needing a study permit (DLI # O19279658882).

What students need to study in Canada

International students

International students are responsible for maintaining a valid immigration status and complying with immigration regulations while in Canada.

If you are an international student, you need several documents to study in Canada.
Most international students need:

Are you transferring from another college or university?
If you already have a valid study permit from another post-secondary institution, you can use it to study at LCC. Students transferring to LCC are required to update their Designated Learning Institution (DLI) online.

Study & Work Permits

LCC’s Career Co-op Programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op work permit if all of the following apply:

  • you have a valid study permit,
  • work is required to complete your study program in Canada,
  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements, AND
  • your co-op placement or internship totals at least 50% of the hours of your study program.  All LCC Co-op programs fulfill this requirement.

Work as a co-op student (IRCC)

How to apply for a study permit.

The study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada.

Visa processing times.

Before applying for a program requiring a study or co-op work permit, check processing times.


Visitors in Canada
You can apply to study without a study permit if both of the following apply:

  • your courses aren’t part of a longer study program AND
  • you complete your studies within the amount of time you are approved to stay in Canada. For most students, this time is less than 6 months.

Do I need a study permit?

Study Permits
All international students in programs longer than 6 months need a valid study permit.

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

Study permit information (IRCC).