Frequently Asked Co-op Questions

1. I received Off Campus Work permission on my study permit. Can I take a vacation from study and work during my vacation?

If you have permission on your study permit, you can work up to 20 hours/ week while you study. For additional details, please check with the IRCC.

2. I’m an international student. Do I need a work permit for a Co-op Diploma Program?
International students require

  • A Canadian Study Permit and a Co-op Work Permit (LCC can provide a letter of acceptance and Co-op Work Permit application for registered international students),   OR
  • A Working Holiday Visa.

3. How many hours will I work in my work term and how much will I earn?

Hours of work will depend on your Co-op study options. You can check your number of hours on your letter of acceptance. The work term in hours must not be longer than your study term in hours. You can expect at least the current BC minimum wage ($12.65/hour from June 2018)

4. How long is the Career Co-op program?

The complete program (including both study and work components) runs from a minimum of one (1) year up to a maximum of two (2) years. The work term must not be longer than the study term.

5. What if I don’t like my job or if I have a problem at work?

Students are encouraged to communicate all difficulties to a registrar. If the student was placed by an employment agency, all complaints must go to the employment agency representative. If you need to leave a job, you can still work in other jobs for your Co-op Program (you need to submit a new Co-op Placement Approval Form).

6. What other documentation do I need to work?

Students need a Social Insurance Number and adequate medical insurance. Information on how to obtain a SIN card and medical insurance are included in your application package. Students can visit any local insurance dealer to purchase a private medical insurance plan. LCC requires students to provide proof of medical insurance before starting the program.

7. Is LCC responsible for helping me find a job?

Students are responsible for finding their own jobs. LCC provides lists of past co-op employers, employment websites, up-to-date job market information and the names of local employment agencies. Business Diploma Program students write a resume and cover letter and practice interviewing techniques, so they will be ready to start job-hunting when they finish studying.

8. What if I cannot find a job by myself?

If you need additional support during your job hunt, you can attend one of our free weekly job finding workshops. Check with a registrar for the dates and times. Private advisory sessions are available for an hourly fee.

9. Am I guaranteed to find a job?

Vancouver is a big city with many opportunities, and Co-op students usually find jobs. However, there is no guarantee that students will find a position. Finding a job depends on employability (work experience, job skills, personality) and the local job market.

10. What happen if I have to withdraw from my Co-op Program?

You need to provide a notice of withdrawal or copy of a refusal of study permit by email or in person. Depending on when you need to withdraw, you may be entitled to a partial refund. Please check LCC’s refund policy. This information is required by IRCC; In other words, we have to inform IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) of your status and close your file here at LCC.

11. Can I take a break during my study component?

Yes, but you have to understand that diploma programs have 24 weeks of classes and each week has different material to study. As a result, you may need to wait up to 24 weeks to enroll in the missed week again after a break.

We strongly recommend that you take your break after your study term.

If you have to take a break during study, your study term will be extended and your work term may be reduced (depending on your work permit end date). We allow you to take a break only if you have enough visa duration to complete your study and work terms.

All changes require two weeks’ advance notice to the LCC office. You will pay a service fee.


For more information about study and work permits please refer to the Government of Canada Help Centre Website.