Our TESOL diploma with practicum is recognized by TESL Canada and will prepare you to teach English in Canada and abroad.
Graduates who successfully complete the program and practicum are eligible to apply for TESL Canada Level 1 Certification. Please ask a Registrar or our TESOL Coordinator for more details.
- Students must have at least Canadian Language Benchmark 5 to take the TESOL Diploma program. Proof of proficiency or a placement assessment is required. All students must take an English writing assessment before registering.
Master the techniques of classroom management across cultures
Understand teaching methods, learning styles and other factors affecting language learning in adults
Learn to teach the core components of English - and polish your own language skills
Gain experience and confidence by teaching mini-lessons to other students
Write effective lesson plans for single and multi-level classes
Learn the importance of student-centred teaching
Program Details: The classroom portion of the TESOL Diploma is eight weeks. Students receiving a minimum of 85% in all five courses are eligible to take a practicum. The practicum is a minimum of eight weeks. The practicum is done at ISSofBC with an experienced LCC or LINC instructor.
The five course included and taught by specialized instructors:
- Introduction to TESOL and Methodology introduces students to learning styles and teaching strategies. Students will also complete eight hours of classroom observations in a variety of English language classes under the supervision of classroom ESL teachers.
- Teaching Grammar focuses on theory and instructional methodology for teaching grammar. Students explore different approaches to teaching grammar and learn about speech and the verb tense system. Techniques for planning, preparing and presenting grammar lessons are also examined.
- Teaching Pronunciation explores English language phonology and training methods for improving pronunciation.
- Teaching Listening and Speaking focuses on current theory and instructional methodology for helping students understand others and express themselves verbally.
- Teaching Reading and Writing examines the skills required by students learning to read and write in English, and explores many methods to improve these skills.